Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The obsession needed its own site!

(Two paintings of the Arabian breed standard as interpreted by Gladys Brown Edwards)

I'll admit it... I'm a madwoman! I am absolutely obsessed with Arabian horses and the idea of breeding my own brand of "perfect" Arabian. Since almost all of my spare time (what there is of it) is spent researching bloodlines and drooling over gorgeous examples of the breed, I've decided I might as well spill out some of that effort onto good ol' Blogger!

If you made it here from my other blog, you are already well aware that I'm called "krazy" for a reason. If you stumbled upon this site on your own, I don't think you will hold any delusions for very long!

My main intent on this blog is to discuss Arabian horses, primarily focusing on anything relevant to my intent to create a small breeding program of my own. I have asked my best friend Julie, of Reinbow Valley Farm, to assist with her own view. We won't always agree on every point, but I respect her opinion, and I believe her to be an exceptional judge of quality horseflesh. I think it will add more dimension and depth to the discussion to have more than one perspective. We will try to stay positive and include as many references as we can to reputable sources.

Some of the topics I would like to cover:
  • history of the Arab as a vital part of what characteristics are (and should) be prized in the breed
  • breeding heritage groups and programs (Crabbet, Polish, Straight Egyptian, Babcock, Kellogg, etc.)
  • individual horses, including pedigree (pictures where possible!) and strengths
  • my breeding goals and my own horses (both strengths and weaknesses)
  • articles and links to sites with more in depth information on particular topics
  • Arabian horse depiction in art and literature
There are many other things I'm sure I could add to this list, but it's a beginning. I certainly don't see the well of inspiration ever running dry! Please feel free to comment about anything (keep it positive, though, even when making constructive criticism--this blog isn't for bashing). Make suggestions about future topics, or let me know if you want to do a guest blog! Hopefully there will be more than just Julie and I reading this blog :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment